Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Don’t Be a Scam Victim! Educate Yourself…


A man called me today wanting to see me urgently. I tried to tell him I could see him tomorrow but he said he saw me on House 2 Home show and added that I used to teach his kids at the church and was very persistent.
Shuffled a few appointments around and had him come in. When he walked in, there was no small talk. In a few moments I heard the horror story of how he has been scammed out of his money and being told to file bankruptcy with a promise that through forensic audit of his loan documents by an attorney and its middle man (that is nowhere to be found),  will wipe out his loan or reduce the principal loan amount or do a short sale. Well the story went on for about 15 minutes and the ending was grueling fact of that all that was done for him, the attorney filed bankruptcy. The next thing he knows the officer showed up with papers of eviction and gave them a few hours to move out of the house. Taking out all the personal belongings and putting them on the sidewalk.
I can’t imagine the horror they must have experienced. This man is a hard working man, father of two. Embarrassed, confused and not knowing what to do. - “How could this happen?”- “ I thought attorneys where suppose to protect my rights not take advantage of us”- “What do I do now?”…. and the questions were many.
I know there are many good attorneys out there, with some I’m good friends with. But please don’t think because they have a plaque hung on their wall with their name on it they are “god”.
If they claim to be Realtors check their license number. Ask for references. 
Ignorance is not an option.

When you talk to anyone, before hiring them use the “God” given technology and resources that are available to you at this day and age – “The Internet”

Check them out on:

State Bar's website, at www.calbar.ca.gov to check on the attoneys
BBB – Better Business Bureau - http://www.la.bbb.org/BusinessFind.aspx
DRE website, at www.dre.ca.gov.
Google.com

You will be surprised what you can find when you do.
Ask for references, ask them to put everything in writing and take it home and read it or consult another professional before you sign.
I hate to see a family to go through a traumatic experience like this especially the kids to whom the father has to explain why they have to move and they can’t go to the same school and see their friends.
Where, everything could have been taken care of with a much dignified process of “Short Sale”.
It’s not hopeless my friends. We can do this the right way, get the word out.
Let people know, even if you’re not going through it. Talk about it and you’ll be surprised how many families we can save from a traumatic experience of such, as this story.
Follow the link below and you’ll know what I mean:   
I would love to hear how this was helpful to you or any comments.
This is Aram Karsian signing off – and this is aRAMBLE for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment